Monday, January 17, 2011

Good vs. Trying

Let me first say this before I throw may sweet boy under the bus!!! He is a busy, lovable, intelligent, creative, and sporty boy!!! He and Ansley are the two most precious things God and my husband could have given me.
With that being said the trying two's has set in. It is amazing how he can be so happy and then the next minute so offended. We were at Kroger today on a family outing. He decided halfway down the pet food isle that he needed a cracker and wanted it at that moment. I asked him to sit in the car and he could have one. Well that just put his halo meter on overload. He crossed his arms and told me in so many English-Chinese words what he felt (if he new how to use his middle finger this is where it would have been used). The store was pretty crowded and I am pretty sure they all came down our isle at that moment. Thankfully most people laughed and kept moving. Since he is in a throwing stage I decided that the dog food cans were not the best place to be. I managed to get him away with Only one damaged can. SuperNanny would not be impressed by how I lately have been using the timeout technique. Certain times James will stand in one spot and have his fit. I ignore him and once he is calm I will slyly go up to him and tell him why he is in timeout and that he needs to apologize. He says he is sorry and gives me a hug and moves on. Today that worked for a brief time. Yes it is lazy parenting but it works in these situations. Well he continued to have the emotions of a teenager. As I was leaving the check out line to take him to the car kicking and screaming because he wanted the candy bar from the "every parents nightmare shelf", the lady in front of me was trying not to laugh and asked where my bottle of wine was as she was looking in the cart. I informed her that the fridge was full of it at home!! I do love this stage. He is so sweet and I am having to find the strength not to laugh during his moments of frustration. You may wonder where Ansley was during this trip. She was reaping the benefits of getting the crackers that James was wanting. It is funny how she was just skipping down the isles not carrying that half the kroger population was staring at us. People must have thought we were an insensitive family because we just kept on with our business while cranky pants expressed himself. And yes tomorrow is school for the little ones while I am off to grand jury duty!! If you were wondering who is indicting all those big cases the news.. yep that's me. I have learned so much about the criminal justice system. As they told us we are getting the first three years of law school in two months. My Brain hurts having to intently listen to all the evidence on 70 cases at least per day. It is amazing what people think to do. On that note it is bedtime must be refreshed for a full day of fun!

No comments: