Sunday, November 3, 2013

Henry number 10

What a week! Henry had an ENT appointment on Monday. I almost cancelled it because I was convinced that we were past the infections. So glad I didn't. After going through a round of questions. No concerns just ready to go so Baylor could get a good nap. One last thing left was the exam. Nothing like the doctor giving me the "what is wrong with you" eye. Henry had a double ear infection. In his words his ears are filled to the top with fluid and if we tested his hearing right now he would have mild hearing loss. After that warm and fuzzy sentence I look at Henry and say thanks. Oh and did I mention that when the doctor walked in Henry pointed to his ear and said ouch. Fantastic! After finding out he had an ear infection the conversation quickly turned to this is what will happen next. His cut off point was 6 infections and we were at 10. I really wasn't given much of an option. Tubes was the topic and Thursday (Halloween) was the day. Grateful they did make me wait long because I didn't have much time to think about all the bad things.
No morning nap for Baylor. He is the best baby. Spent 2 hours being stuck in his car seat and not a peep. Of course if you had Henry to entertain you you would be content to stay safely in your seat!


After rushing paperwork and talking to numerous people it was the day I had been so against. Mom spent the night to be there for the older two because we had to leave by 6 am. Henry woke up
Great and was ready to go. We had Nemo downloaded! Check in process was 10 mins. We were the first ones back! I had the privilege of taking Henry back to get gassed. Mom told me not to look at his face so I kept my eyes on his feet. Kissed him and left him in good hands. I got back to the room and the nurse started talking not even 5 mins later the doctor returned to tell us he was done. Henry did great. His ears were full of "cement." He cleaned them out which took a little extra effort. He explained he would be sensitive to noise but good to go. They wheeled him in with oxygen on him. Explained he would wake up disoriented and mad. The hardest part of this entire process was waiting for him to wake up.
He couldn't wake fast enough for me. It was scary all the scenarios that were running through my brain. He woke up a little disoriented looking for his blanket. Soon as he found that he ripped off the monitors and stood up. I grabbed him and he sat in Bob's lap and watched Nemo. Calm and happy. We were told that he is the rare case. Most do not wake up so pleasant. He is a trouper! The pain he has endured with this last infection shows what a great kid he is!
The best part of getting tubes was the moment we got home he opened the back door to go play ball and I called his name and he turned around the first time I called him! Wow! Usually I have to raise my voice to get his attention. Everyday it is eye opening how bad his hearing was. He will repeat everything we say. The icing on the cake was tonight at bedtime I read him the normal books always go through.
He repeated all the animal sounds back to me. He has never done that before. I just thought he didn't care to respond to me. I can't wait to see what he is talking about this week!
Here is a picture of him in his purple gown. Go frogs!!


Watching Nemo before surgery.


Watching Nemo after surgery!




Christine

No comments: